Thursday, March 17, 2011

An Open Letter to Warner Bros. Records

Dear Warner Bros Records,

First, I would like to take the time to thank you for some of the artists both on your roster and whom you have distributed over the years: B-52's, Muse, The White Stripes, James Taylor, R.E.M., Everest and many others. Also, it's fantastic that your company, with "Records" in the name, is still selling actual vinyl. I am a recent vinyl convert, and it has been fun to rediscover my record collection on wax.

Some artists I seek out now, including a few of yours - R.E.M. & Everest to name two - I look first to vinyl. From there I hope to enjoy the sonic wonders of my turntable and then convert those songs to digital files so I can listen on the go. (It's a little tough to go jogging with a turntable...) This, for the most part, is fairly easy because most record labels - even the "indie" ones - include a code to download the album online. Makes sense, right? Welllll, not to you, I guess.

Warner Bros Records is the only label I have found (so far) that does NOT include a digital download with the purchase of new vinyl. So, let me get this right: I should pay 15, 20 or 25 bucks for the wax and then go out and purchase a digital version too? I think not.

I realize I am beating a dead horse here, but major labels need to get with the program and at least attempt to keep up. Even a local Portland label like Tender Loving Empire is pressing colored vinyl AND including digital downloads at a reasonable price. It can't be THAT hard. Dave Allen over at North always writes (much more eloquently) about this topic, and you should probably start paying attention. We're 10+ years into the new millennium after all...

Now that you've frustrated me, all I want to do is seek out smaller bands on smaller labels - something I already do - and avoid major labels entirely. Really, I probably just should have found that new R.E.M. album for free online. At least then I would have had a digital copy.

In the end, though, it's the smaller labels that are putting out the best material anyway, so I'm not totally mad at you, Warner Bros. I know my most beloved bands are going to come from your lesser-known rivals, which is a program I will gladly support.

Sincerely,
-matthew-

No comments:

Post a Comment