Friday, May 6, 2011

Good Peoples

I was in Washington D.C. recently and felt like going to a show on a random Thursday night. Not having done my homework, I jumped online to see who was in town. After a quick sweep of the venues I am familiar with (Black Cat, 9:30 Club, Rock & Roll Hotel), I made the decision to see Hurricane Bells - a band I previously knew nothing about - at the Black Cat Backstage.

Hurricane Bells hit the stage a little after 9p and I was quickly happy - extremely happy - with my choice. Their bass, guitar/vox, drums, female-backups lineup was sonically full, and each player was clearly skilled. The melodies were smooth and unassuming, and each song was just different enough to keep me engaged for the entire 40 minute set. Plus, the two singers did the two-singers-on-one-mic thing a few times, which is kind of adorable when it's a guy and a girl...just sayin.



Once they were through I noticed a lack of merchandise, so I tracked down the singer, Steve Schiltz. The gin & tonics may have helped in the decision making, but I gave him $20 and my home address and said, "I want everything Hurricane Bells has released. Is this enough?" "Yes" came the response. Perfect.

Lo and behold, about a week later I received a package with a nice note from Steve. He included Hurricane Bells' EP, LP and an extra full-length CD from Scout, his female singer's other band.



I guess the point here is that you can still trust people these days. Steve's simple follow-through and added personal touch put a stamp on my already enthusiastic attitude toward his band, and I eagerly await their forthcoming LP.

Steve Schiltz and Hurricane Bells are good peoples. I support them and so should you.

http://www.hurricanebells.com/
http://www.scoutscoutscout.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment